There are seemingly endless options for wedding bands, and finding the perfect one requires lots of decisions. Understanding the types of metals available and the benefits to each helps you select the best ring for your taste and lifestyle. Here is a quick guide to precious metals and alternative metals.
What Is a Precious Metal
Precious metals are traditionally used to make wedding rings. Generally speaking, these are the pricier options, with the overall cost of a piece varying based on the value of the metal it’s made from, the value of the design and the work that went into making it.
The benefits of precious metals include:
- Value: Precious metals are relatively high in value because of the rarity of the material, and they tend to retain their value over time.
- Appearance: Precious metals are generally less reactive than other types of metal, meaning that they are resistant to rust and corrosion and are less likely to tarnish. They also have more luster for a more striking appearance.
- Restoration: Though precious metals may show wear over time, you can have them polished to restore their natural look.
The most common precious metals for wedding rings include gold, platinum, and palladium.
What Is an Alternative Metal
Alternative metals, which are becoming increasingly common in today’s market, are generally more affordable due to their wider availability. They’re most popular in men’s wedding bands, though there are plenty of options for women as well.
Alternative metals come with many benefits, including:
- Durability: Alternative metals are resistant to scratching, making them ideal for men and women who work with their hands in trades like mechanics and construction.
- Versatility: As the demand for wedding rings constructed from alternative metals increases, there is a growing number of options for styles. Alternative metal rings are no longer limited to a clunky, industrial look but are often available in styles most common in rings constructed from a precious metal.
- Comfort: Alternative metals are known for being comfortable and lightweight, making them a great option for day-to-day wear.
- Hypoallergenic: Most alternative metal bands are hypoallergenic and are perfect for those who have experienced skin reactions to certain types of metal in the past.
Some popular options for alternative metal rings include stainless steel, titanium, zirconium, tungsten carbide, and cobalt.
Reasons to Choose an Alternative Metal Wedding Ring
Even if you have a precious metal wedding ring that you wear for special events, you may benefit from choosing an alternative metal ring for day-to-day use. This is especially true for those whose job involves manual labor or whose hobbies involve using their hands, as a precious metal ring is more easily damaged. Alternative metals are generally much stronger, meaning that they can handle a lot more stress without getting bent, scratched or dinged. They’re also lighter in weight, making them ideal for everyday wear.
Choosing a Wedding Ring from Soundwave Art™
Whether you’re selecting a primary wedding band or a meaningful alternative for everyday wear, you’ll love our new precious and alternative metal wedding rings. Our wide selection of rings are perfect for nearly any budget and style and can be customized with a unique soundwave message that holds special meaning for you and your partner. Check out the full inventory Rings to get started.